1.10.2013

Lizzie Bennet, have you heard of her?

Confession: I've never read Pride and Prejudice. Not for lack of trying, I've tried a few times to read it and I just can't get through it. I'm exactly sure why, I think the language tends to make me go cross-eyed. It's not much of an excuse, but I don't really have any other reason.

That being said, I LOVE movie adaptations of it. Bridget Jones' Diary remains one of my most watched movies of all times. Bride and Prejudice is one of my greatest finds ever. Even the Pride and Prejudice: A Latter Day Comedy is fairly entertaining (in a "you'll get more of the jokes if you're LDS" kind of way). While the Keira Knightly version isn't horrible, there will never be a better adaptation of Pride and Prejudice than the one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

While I can't seem to fall in love with Mr. Darcy on paper, I fall for him in every regeneration of him on film. While Matthew Macfadyen, Orlando Seale, and Martin Henderson are perfectly wonderful Darcys, Colin Firth will always and forever remain THE Darcy. You can attribute that to him being Darcy twice, but his Darcy is what made me love to watch every version of this story.

All that being said, there is a webseries that is worming it's way into my heart and causing me to look forward to Mondays and Thursdays (and sometimes Tuesdays and Fridays). Created by the genius minds that are Hank Green and Bernie Su, this webseries has kind of taken over my lunch time youtube sessions.



This modern adaptation is not only incredibly well made, but also, fantastically funny. Ashley Clements plays the part of the slightly socially awkward, nerdy, but still incredibly witty Lizzie Bennet to perfection. Her awkwardness is never uncomfortable, nor is it her most distinguishing feature. The rest of the cast is just as talented and watchable. Also, Darcy... amazing. Though I still view Colin as my number one Darcy, this series' Darcy, is "totes adorbs" and might be my second favorite.

I highly recommend this series. Seriously, click the video above and watch the entire series. And soon you'll watch the entire series in one day and be saying:

No comments:

Post a Comment