1.31.2011

Writing Habits

Both Angel and Helen wrote about their writing habits recently, and because I'm a follower not a leader, the little English voice in my head is saying 'Oi! Anna, You should write about yours.' And the English voice in my head will not be denied. (Note: I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested!)

Clothing:
Pajamas. Almost always pajamas. I like to write in something comfy and easy. Something that'll (possibly) keep me from going outside and getting distracted. That is, unless I'm going out of the house to write.

In that case, it's jeans and a t-shirt. Normally a geeky t-shirt, one with Yoshi or Promises Promises on the front, and of course either flip-flops, or my skater shoes, paired with a pair of fun socks (my cupcake socks are a particular favorite).

Food/Drink:
Chocolate is a must, though I tend to eat a lot of El Fudge cookies too.

If I'm out to write, I MUST have an Iced Chai Latte. I love Hot Chai's too, but Iced Chai's always hit the spot (Lets see how many more times I can say the word Chai. CHAI, CHAI, CHAI, CHAI!). If Chai is not attainable, then it's definitely a Dr. Pepper. I'm addicted. It's bad.

Location:
Only during this recent try with NaNoWriMo did I discover, I'm a lot more productive when it comes to writing my own stuff, if I'm not at home. As much as I love Starbucks, Beans and Brews is the place that I find it the easiest to write. It's just enough noise to be in the background, but not enough to be hugely distracting.

If I'm unable to get to a Beans and Brews (i.e. I'm at work) then I just pull up a Google Document and start writing on my breaks or when I get down time.

Misc.

I've tried making playlists before, but I have a hard time writing when songs with lyrics are playing behind me. I've recently acquired a whole bunch of original scores for movies like Stargate, Harry Potter, P.S. I Love You, and Stardust. The P.S. I Love You seems to be the one I write to the most. I love it's Celtic feel and slightly upbeat tunes. Stardust is the second one I listen to most. I found that I can't listen to the Harry Potter or Stargate scores, because I know what is supposed to be happening at that moment in the movie and I get distracted.

I also can't write with movies or tv on in the background if I'm at home. I would normally end up pausing or muting it, otherwise I get distracted.

I'm one of those people who has her entire characters planned out. What they wear, how they act, how they dress, a small back story, everything I can think of. That way if I get lost as to where my character is going, I have something to refer back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment