9.15.2011

NaNo Sized Problems

For the past few years, I've continued to try and participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Though I have yet to actually reach the goal of 50,000 words, last year I reached 20,000 and I'm still pretty proud of it.

But every year, that I don't finish I get a little discouraged. Deep down I know that, writing a book in 30 days, is a very impressive feat. And not being able to do it, doesn't mean I'm any less of a writer, it just means that I can't write that fast and make it at least a little bit quality.

Recently Trevor (an aspiring novelist that you should go follow) wrote about how writers depression is worse than writers block. I couldn't agree more. All writers experience writers block, it may not be a one that last for months or even weeks, it may only last a few hours, but every writer has had some form of writers block at some point. Writer's Depression, however, is worse, its when you're stuck in a rut, that seems like there will never be a way out.

I've been stuck at that point for about a year. I've been pretty good at keeping up with my TV blog, posting at least weekly, but when it comes to actually writing the stuff that I like to read, my ideas seem to have jumped on board the Destiny and are now traveling the universe with Eli Wallace. And unfortunately, I don't have any communication stones to talk to it and convince them to come back to me. (Sorry if this reference goes over your heads, I've been in a Stargate mood lately...)

All that being said, I'm going to challenge myself, but tweak the rules a little bit.

This year, my goal is half the amount of NaNo. My goal is going to be to write 25,000 word story in 30 days. It's about 850 words a day. Which seems a bit more achievable than the 1,700 words a day required for a 50,000 word story in 30 days. Especially since I'm bound to miss at least one day.

The one part that I'm really going to challenge myself with, is that I'm determined to write from a girls perspective. I know what you're thinking, "Anna, you ARE a girl, that should be easy!". WRONG! Writing from a female perspective is very difficult for me. In one of my first blog posts I kind of go into the reasons why, but what it comes down to, writing from the male perspective, just comes more naturally.

Another thing I need to do, is read more. Working 10 hours a day and then coming home only to eat then go to bed was exhausting. Now that I work 8 hours a day, things will (hopefully) be a bit more manageable. Add all that to the fact that I now have a half hour commute via train that I can read on, this will mean great books for me to be inspired by. First up: The rest of John Green's books followed by a marathon read of Meg Cabot books. w00tw00t!

Another thing that I think would help tremendously, is watching the Vlogbrothers videos where John talks about his writing and how he accomplished what he has.
Like this one:




I realize that NaNoWriMo is a little ways away, but, I'm preparing myself now in hopes that I won't be stunted in the ideas department.

Who else is participating in NaNoWriMo?

3 comments:

  1. I remember, in the middle of writing "The Sometimes Sword" there were times when I literally couldn't put my fingers on the keyboard. Becky can attest to this. There were days that Writer's Depression simply ate my brain out of my skull and left me unable to type a word. Of the two days I missed (I had a goal to write a 50k+ book in 25 days) both were because of this. There were other days like that too, but I somehow managed to push past it (usually by forcing myself to sit in front of the computer for however long it took me to begin writing, even if it took a half hour of staring). I think your goal is the perfect step to rise about Writer's Depression, as long as you stick to it. There is no point in telling a writer to, "Cheer up, your stuff is good," so I won't. But I will say, don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.. I don't know if it helps, but I've been reading your blog and enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete